Sunday, July 8, 2012
When Did It Begin?
Cohutta Springs was on the map as early as about 1840. In fact, on some maps of that era, Cohutta Springs appears twice. That's because the community itself was a well-known watering place. People came from miles around to enjoy the mineral waters of the springs. Later, a post office was established a few miles away, leading mapmakers to put the place name there, as well. It grew from its quiet beginnings. Lifestyles change, though. Farming gave way to other things, and grist mills fell out of use. The little watering place was too well hidden, and the hotels moved a little closer to the main road.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment